Unified Stop Reload Go button comes to Firefox 4
Posted by Percy Cabello on September 5th, 2010 • Tags:
ShareThis

Pieces keep fitting in for the Firefox 4 theme refresh. Recent development nightlies now feature the planned stop-reload-go button next to the location bar.

When the page is loaded, it becomes a reload button.

A stop button while loading.

And , if you edit the web address, you get the go button.

While it should make more sense to new users, this is no doubt going to anger more than a few long time Firefox users used to clicking next to the back button to reload or stop the current web page.

However you can take the buttons back to their previous location through the Customize Toolbar window: open the Minefield (Firefox) button, and select Toolbar Layout… in the Options menu. The buttons are decoupled and you can drag them at will.

You can also take a half-way approach by moving the unified button to the left of the location bar with this user style. You will need the almighty Stylish extension.

UPDATE: It is actually possible to decouple the reload, stop and go buttons, as noted in the comments. The miserably wrong statement has been updated to reflect this. Thanks to all commenters!

Comments
Stan said on September 5, 2010, 7:59 pm:

Percy, it’s quite easy to move the Stop/Reload combo back to the current position via the Customize menu. It was maybe added in a later nightly build than the one you used?

Omega X said on September 5, 2010, 8:20 pm:

@ Stan

Its been in the nightly builds since it landed. Using the “Customize” menu the buttons are purposely decoupled for the purpose of moving them until that window is closed again.

Reload and Stop has to be together and on the right side of the Location bar in that order for it to activate. If the order is reversed, Reload and Stop will merge but it will not be attached to the Location Bar.

Aldo "xoen" Giambelluca said on September 6, 2010, 12:08 am:

I like this updates :), I don’t mind if reload/stop button is moved, this new position has sense to me and BTW I almost evertime use F5/ESC.

Is there any news about the new Firefox 4 UI on GNU/Linux?

Të said on September 6, 2010, 4:04 am:

You can find all info in the bug for it.

“As stated above, Mozilla is waiting on stuff in GTK to land so they can use it
to implement the features in a SANE way that doesn’t break things.

There’s no good way to fix bug #513159 on Linux at the moment, but there WILL
be, however not in time for FF4 so Mozilla has decided to wait until they do it
right.”

Të said on September 6, 2010, 4:07 am:

Seriously, people push too much about their greasy scripts and stylish… styles.

I see time and time again how people create workarounds through those channels rather than take a quick gander at the settings.

Barista Uno said on September 6, 2010, 4:37 am:

The developers of Firefox add-ons have better hurry up. I am using 4.0b4 and most of my old extensions are incompatible.

Aldo "xoen" Giambelluca said on September 6, 2010, 6:22 am:

@Të
Thank you very much for the answer ;).

LOOK said on September 6, 2010, 9:11 am:

it’s not a good design.

Godai71 said on September 6, 2010, 1:27 pm:

Any possibility to have same effect on left side of address bar?

Percy Cabello said on September 6, 2010, 3:50 pm:

Seems it was even easier for me not to see it! Shame on me, thanks to you! Updated.

Jany said on September 7, 2010, 1:36 am:

Mockups looks better. Loading bars etc.

osu said on September 7, 2010, 3:13 am:

Still GUI is too big. I mean dam look at that huge orange minefield button. I wish it was lower to give us few pixels of webpage (very important on netbooks) on screen. I would see orange menu button on left side of tabs and like square. To make it simple: Give us some more spaaaaaaaace. Cause its sad, Opera is very minimal, Chrome is minimal too, so why the hell my favorite firefox cant be ? Its like huge cow taking half the screen.

Lacky said on September 7, 2010, 5:16 pm:

i also think that the gui is too big! the should remove the Text from the Orange button and put a firefox logo into it.. and then they should move it next to the tabs.. and then it would need a lot less space…

i also hate the blueish look.. i would love a glass look or just white..

a mozilla links visitor said on September 8, 2010, 2:18 am:

I think some of you would be happy with customizations that you can find here:

tabs next to the firefox-button and give an other look to the button (I didn’t try it myself at the moment).

osu said on September 9, 2010, 2:24 am:

This looks quite nice. Still it should be done almost like this by random. Not to be aviabale after tweaking.Still the button is still too big but as we see on screen we have that few extra pixels that where wasted

Maurizio said on September 9, 2010, 4:26 am:

I can’t seems to activate this in firefox 4 beta 5.

I’ve placed refresh and stop in the right order and after the location bar.

What am I missing?

Të said on September 9, 2010, 10:53 am:

It’s a beta, not a release candidate.

aurox said on September 25, 2010, 3:26 am:

Please move the place cards next to the top “Minefield”!

masik kaluchka said on April 12, 2011, 10:36 am:

Hummmm… the new Firefox 4 is like a shiny new car without transmission and brakes …. it turns on fast, can not change gears and can not find the brakes! … I have tree tabs open and waiting to load … one did not load right and pop-ups sometimes populate the tabs bar ….. one is a silly loop of advertising, another is a news pop up … I mean running continuously ….
Who had all those great ideas at Mozilla? …. why you don’t just lock us out of the computer and let advertisers roam at will! …. do you expect us to just sit and watch our computers play on their own and us watch it like TV? … get real! … exclude advertisers and kill the pop ups plus place a big stop button where it belongs …
As it is now I am willing to pay for a browser that does what I want!

Brian Capouch said on May 9, 2011, 8:18 pm:

Beyond the stop button having a new location, has its functionality changed?

I am running motion, an open source camera app, and it continuously streams .jpgs to my browser. Up until now, hitting the “STOP” button, if a complete image was loaded, would stop loading the stream BUT LEAVE THE CURRENT IMAGE IN PLACE FOR VIEWING.

Try as I might, I can’t get that feature to work anymore; now *every* time I hit stop the page goes blank.

Can someone comment?