Michael Bemmer, Sun Microsystems' StarOffice/OpenOffice.org Director Software Engineering, announced (PDF) during the latest OpenOffice.org Conference that addressing OOo future OpenOffice.org (an open source office suite) versions will feature email and calendar functionality based on Mozilla Lightning, a project that aims to deliver Sunbird calendar functionality into Thunderbird as an extension.
Among expected functionality:
- Schedule appointments / meetings
- Address book, Invitations, Free / Busy information
- Timezone support
- Access rights including delegation
- Backup / Restore of calendar and config data
- Sun Java System Calendar Server
- At a later time: Microsoft Exchange and offline mode to sync with Notebook/PDA support.
According to Bemmer's presentation, this will address a main feature set requested by users through surveys, will solve Microsoft license issues and will allow a complete migration to an open solution.